Thursday, August 6, 2015

Honey-Lime Grilled Chicken

A few years ago, I bought a small freezer for my house.  Why, oh why, oh why didn't I buy one years ago??  I've now become a huge fan of those "dump" recipes and have one shelf dedicated to zip-loc bags of chicken and shrimp, pork cutlets and steak tips, all marinating away.  (If you haven't done "dump" cooking yet - try it!  HUGE time saver.  Just google "dump" recipes" and  begin planning what you're going to do with all that time you just saved.)

Honey-Lime Grilled Chicken with Cilantro-Lime Rice


Ingredients:
8 boneless chicken thighs
1/2 c honey
1/3 c. lime juice (about 2 limes) (I juiced the limes after I was done zesting them)
1/4 c low sodium soy sauce

basmati rice - 6 servings
1 T. lime zest
1/4 c lime juice
2 T finely chopped fresh cilantro

Procedure:
Zest two limes (pare a thin layer from the outside of the limes - none of that white stuff!!) and chop VERY finely.  (Or use a zester and you don't have to worry about the white stuff!).  Juice the lime carcasses.

Four hours before cooking, place the chicken, honey, soy and lime juice in a bag.  Mush everything around so the chicken is coated and put the bag in the refrigerator to marinate.

Start your rice.  (I've decided I prefer jasmine or basmati rice to all the others - but use what you like.)

Because I hate cleaning the grates on the grill section of my Jenn-Air (and didn't want to clean Carlene's either), I top the grill with a double layer of aluminum foil with the edges turned up to make a rim to catch any wayward drips.

Grill the chicken until done (at least 160 inside - or if you don't have a thermometer to test, cut one piece in half - you still want it juicy, but not dripping anything "red")  NOTE:  discard any marinade left in the bag.

Right before serving, stir the lime juice, zest, and cilantro into the rice.

Add a vegetable of your choice - I did peas to keep everything on the plate in that idea of "green".


No comments:

Post a Comment