Saturday, March 12, 2016

meatless monday zucchini pie

This was REALLY good - tons of veggies, protein from the cheese and eggs.  I could have had a second helping but decided to behave.  (Darn!)  This is going to be breakfast in the morning, too!!


Zucchini Pie




Ingredients:
4 tablespoons butter
1 yellow onion, diced - I used 1/2 of a large onion
2 ears sweet corn - I used a small bag of frozen
2 large zucchini, sliced thin (I used the real skinny little ones - hardly any seeds - all "meat") about 4 cups)
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
NOTE: I used 1 T Italian Seasoning instead of the basil and oregano. If using the basil and oregano , I'd cut it down to 1/2 T EACH - that lets the sweet flavor of the roasted corn shine through!)
½ teaspoon salt
12 ounces shredded cheese (I used both Mozzarella and Swiss)
3 eggs, beaten  - I used 4.  The next time I'm going to try 6.


Procedure:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. 
Heat the butter in a large, deep skillet over medium high heat. 
Add the onions, zucchini, and mushrooms. 
After 5 minutes, dump in the corn (from the bag or off the cob.)
Continue to saute until the veggies are soft, 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat.
Add the basil, oregano, and salt. Stir once to combine. 
Add the cheese and eggs.
Grease a pan with nonstick spray. 
Transfer the mixture to the pan. Arrange the top so the zucchini slices lay flat and look nice. 
Top with a little extra cheese for looks, cover with greased foil, and bake for 20 minutes. 
Remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes to brown the top. 
Let stand for 10-15 minutes before cutting into slices.

I layered half the veggies, then the cheese, then the other half of the veggies in a rectangular small roaster and did not bother with the greased foil.  I baked the entire thing for 25 minutes (it probably only needed 20).  After I took the pan out of the oven I sprinkled another handful of mozza on top, to melt.

IT WAS YUMMYYYYYYYYY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment