Monday, February 8, 2016

Slow Cooker Texas Pot Roast

More snow coming in!!  Since I'm a one-person army in my neck of the woods, taking care of the outside of the house has to happen at the same time as inside chores.  I may move the snow a little slower when injured, but eventually I get it all from point A to point B!!! 

My slow cookers get a workout in the winter (well, frankly, I use them year round, but cold weather just lends itself to yummy smells bubbling away in the crock.)  This is a nice variation on a good ol' pot roast.  Sometimes, you just NEED a piece of beef.)

Texas Roadhouse Pot Roast



Ingredients:
2 - 2.5 lb chuck roast
½ onion, chopped
½ bell pepper (any color), chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 large potatoes, chopped into chunks*  see note
2 cloves of garlic, minced
½ cup tomato sauce
½ cup BBQ sauce
2 beef bouillon cubes (I always use low-sodium better than bouillon paste - about 1/2 T here)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
½ tsp dried thyme
½ cup water

Procedure:
Place roast in the bottom of the slow cooker.
Top with vegetables and potatoes (optional - I prefer to serve this with a side of mash and another side of peas.)
Top with BBQ sauce, tomato sauce, water and spices.
Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Thicken the gravy if you like with a roux made from a few T flour and water stirred together into a smooth paste and stir into the bubbling (reset the crock to HIGH) liquid while the meat "rests" before slicing.  I remove the veggies and keep warm while I thicken the gravy.

Any leftovers (when you're a party of one, there are ALWAYS leftovers) make a darn good pot pie!  Or chop the beef up fine and use as the base for a shepherd's pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment