Sunday, February 14, 2016

Cheesy Pull Apart Sliders

For years, I've been eating "Funeral Sandwiches" - a ham and cheese sandwich with a buttery glaze that is made with King's Hawaiian bread and baked in the oven (I know they're easy to make for a crowd and all, but the NAME just slays me - sounds awful, doesn't it?)  I saw this version making the rounds on a news site in January and decided to give it a go - I'm still trying to tempt my tummy into food as I have no appetite - a lovely side effect from all the pills I had to take  (still can't figure out why I'm not losing weight like a champ considering how little I've eaten...).  I only baked 1/4 of these at a time (I knew the leftover would be absolutely awful so I saved the cooked mixture in the fridge and then just used a portion of it at each meal.)  Since I already LOVE sliders, I knew this stood a good chance at being a hit.  It WAS pretty good.  This would be a great kids' meal when Mom or Dad are traveling on business!!


Cheesy Pull-Apart Sliders



Ingredients:
sliders:
1 pound lean ground beef
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon mustard powder
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
2 cups diced onion (about 1 medium onion)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (10-oz) can Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles, drained
12 slices cheddar cheese (cheddar holds up better than "american" cheese)
12 dinner rolls

glaze:
½ cup (one stick) butter
2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon mustard
1 tablespoon sesame seeds

Procedure:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place a large skillet on the stove top over high heat. When the pan is hot, add the beef and season with salt, pepper, mustard powder, and paprika. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until beef is browned and onions are golden. 

While the beef is browning, make the glaze:  Mix all the ingredients for the glaze and microwave about 40 seconds. Mix until melted, smooth, and combined.

Stir in drained tomatoes into the browned beef mixture until combined.  (You might need to drain off most of the fat from the beef if you are not using lean beef.)

Slice dinner rolls in half and place bottom half of rolls in 9×13 baking dish. Top with beef mixture & sliced cheese. Finish off with the top half of the bun.

 Pour the glaze mixture evenly over the buns.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.

I served mine with a side of some cole slaw.  I was seriously thinking about adding a root beer float, but it got too cold here for me to consider ice cream!!!!  Maybe this summer......




This recipe would easily double or triple for a crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment