Not quite the same as a deep fried chili, but close enough for a town this size and definitely easy!! Now if they could only come up with a really good "fake tamale" recipe I'd be in Cinco de Mayo Heaven!!
Chile Rellenos Casserole
1 (7-ounce) can whole green chili peppers (there were 5 peppers in the can)
5 ounces Monterey Jack cheese
4 beaten eggs
1/3 cup milk
½ cup flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup (about 3 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚.
2. Drain the peppers; slit them lengthwise and remove the seeds.
3. Cut the Monterey Jack cheese into long pieces, and put it in the peppers. (The peppers won’t totally surround the cheese, which is okay.)
4. Put the peppers in a greased 10x6x2-inch baking dish.
5. Combine the eggs and milk; add the flour, baking powder, and salt and beat until smooth.
6. Pour the egg mixture over the chiles. Cover with the shredded cheddar cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes